FAQ: Selecting Genie Garage-Door Products
- How do I select the right Genie® garage door opener?
- Where can I get help selecting a Genie® garage door opener?
- What features should I look for when buying a Genie® garage door opener?
- What safety features are available on Genie® openers?
- What power level should I choose?
- What is the difference between belt drive, screw drive and chain drive?
- How fast will my Genie® garage door opener lift the door?
- How do I know if a Genie® opener is compatible with my garage door?
- What accessories are available for my Genie® opener?
How do I select the right Genie garage door opener?
Once you have decided to go with the Genie® brand, these factors will help you determine the garage door opener that is right for you:
- Size (height, width, thickness), construction (steel, insulated, wood) and weight of your garage door.(This will help determine the size of the motor and the type of drive needed.)
- Clearance above the door opening (which will help determine where to mount the opener.)
- The living spaces that are near or above the garage (which may affect the noise level of the Genie® opener you want.)
- Desired safety and convenience features and accessories, so your new Genie® garage-door system fits your needs and preferences.
For additional assistance in choosing the right opener for your door, consult your closest Genie Dealer or Retail outlet.
Where can I get help selecting a garage door opener?
Because The Genie Company has been making garage door openers for more than half a century, we can offer expert advice about selecting and installing your new garage door opener. For help selecting a Genie garage door opener, first determine if you need do-it-yourself or professional installation. If you’re unsure about the type of installation you need, we can help.
- For do-it-yourself projects, you can find Genie products and expert advice at a variety of leading retail stores, home-improvement centers and lumber yards. Locate your local Genie retailer.
- Professionally installed Genie openers are available through our network of Genie Professional Dealers. These experts in your area are available to offer advice about selecting the right opener for your needs, as well as to install and maintain any Genie product you own. Locate your local Genie Pro™ dealer, who will also install the opener for you.
What should I look for when buying a garage door opener?
Your garage door opener is an important home appliance that will get daily use for many years to come. Six factors to consider when making this important product purchase are safety, power, drive type, speed, compatibility and accessories. (These factors are described in questions 4–9 below.)
What safety features are important?
Your garage door is the largest and one of the heaviest moving objects in your home. That means the features designed to enhance your door’s opening and closing are important considerations for your family’s safety. At The Genie Company, we believe that safety depends on two things — the safety features incorporated into the opener system and the reliability of the opener itself.
- For your Genie garage door opener to work, certain safety features, such as the Genie Safe-T-Beam® system, must be properly installed. We require Safe-T-Beam on all garage-door systems we manufacture to prevent doors from closing when doorways are obstructed. In particular, the Safe-T-Beam system keeps people, pets and vehicles safe by utilizing an infrared beam that automatically reverses a garage door when an obstruction is detected in the door’s path. Its self-diagnostic feature can also help troubleshoot system errors.
- GenieSense™ Monitoring and Diagnostic Technology – Some of our newest products feature this innovative technology. GenieSense delivers the power needed at every movement of the garage door and continuously monitors the operation of the door, stopping operation when significant changes occur. These features minimize noise, wear and tear on the door, and improve overall safety.
- Reliable performance is as critical to your safety as any other feature your garage-door system incorporates. Genie® possesses an impressive track record for manufacturing high-quality openers that are known for dependable performance. An industry leader, Genie® offers one of the largest selections of openers for residential applications in the world. This ensures that we have a reliable solution for every homeowner. Our openers carry limited warranties that are among the best in the industry.
What power level should I choose?
The amount of power needed for your opener is determined by the size, construction and weight of your garage door.
Garage door openers are powered by alternating-current (AC) or direct-current (DC) motors. DC motors are a newer technology, and provide some benefits over AC motors: quiet, smooth operation; soft starting and stopping; and lighter weight for easier installation. Since DC motors are not measured in horsepower like AC motors and their power cannot be directly compared, Genie has developed a comparison rating system for DC openers to help compare them with AC openers. The Horsepower Comparable (HPc) rating indicates that the DC opener meets or exceeds Genie’s lifting-force specifications for a horsepower rating. The HPc ratings do not denote equivalency, but instead are a basis for garage door opener comparisons.
Your local Genie retailer or Professional Dealer can help you choose the right garage door opener for your garage door.
What's the difference between Belt Drive, Screw Drive and Chain Drive?
Direct Drive Screw
The direct drive screw opener is another innovation in a long list of other industry firsts from Genie. This premium garage door opener features a solid-steel direct drive for increased strength and unmatched durability. With no belts, chains or gears that wear out, screw-drive openers feature simplistic, yet strong designs. For example, the motor shaft connects to a direct-drive system with no gearing to decrease or artificially enhance the amount of torque provided by the motor.
With proper periodic maintenance, belt units offer years of trouble-free service. Belt drives are ultra quiet because they are smooth and have no metal-on-metal contact in the rail.
Chain-drive garage door openers are among the most affordable in the industry. They feature a rugged, time-tested design that is durable and long-lasting.
How fast will the garage door opener lift the door?
Most Genie garage door openers operate at a variety of speeds ranging from 6 inches per second to 12 inches per second opening speed. If faster opening is important to you, we recommend our TriloG® 1500, which opens twice as fast as most garage door openers on the market. With opening speeds up to 12 inches per second, TriloG 1500 is also quiet, thanks to its near-silent, direct-current (DC) motor and soft-start/stop actions.
How do I know if the opener is compatible with my garage door?
Compatibility should not be a problem with Genie garage door openers. We have been developing and producing garage door openers for more than half a century. Note that some doors may require specific hardware for connecting an opener and to avoid voiding the product warranty. Please review your owner's manual and instructions for any manufacturer's requirements. All Genie openers are manufactured to meet our standards, and they are warranted to meet our criteria for high-quality, long-lasting performance.
What accessories are available for my opener?
If you want the added convenience and simplicity of a complete garage-door system, add a time-saving accessory or security enhancement to your Genie package. We offer a variety of accessories for do-it-yourself products, as well as for doors and openers installed by our Genie Professional Dealers.
Genie accessories and product add-ons include:
- Extension Kits: for do-it-yourself applications on eight-foot sectional doors.
- Remotes featuring Intellicode® Access Security System.
- Additional Wall Controls: provide convenient opener operation from inside the garage.
- Wireless Keypads: Lighted keypad features a flip up cover and lets you control up to three garage door openers from the outside of the home for convenient, secure access. Features Intellicode Access Security System.
- Universal, Hard-Wired Keyless Entry: available for older model openers.
- Emergency Release Kit: allows the garage door to open or close in case of power failure (a necessity for vault-type garages.)
- Maintenance Items: enhance the life of your garage door opener.
- Genie Intellicode Receiver Universal Dual Frequency Kit: converts garage door opener to operate on two frequencies, providing flexibility in the case of frequency Interference.