- How much does a battery backup (BBU) add to the cost of the opener?
It depends on which opener you are choosing to use in your application. Genie offers the most complete
line of openers in the industry and the capabilities and power output vary between them. Openers that
require more power output, like our 140V opener, will require a larger and more expensive battery as
opposed to our 24V opener.
- If I purchase a new opener, will the battery come in the box?
If you purchase an opener that comes standard with a battery backup, then the battery unit will be
included in the box. If the opener has the option to add a battery backup, then the battery will be in a
- Is the battery backup replaceable?
Yes, the battery can easily be replaced.
- Will a generic battery work?
It is not recommended to use any battery not provided by Genie.
- Can a battery backup be added to older Genie openers?
This answer depends on which model you have. Models 2028, 2128, 1028 and 1128 cannot have a BBU
added. However, many other Genie openers can be retrofitted with a BBU
- How long will the battery last?
This answer depends on a variety of factors. Environmental conditions such as extreme cold can reduce the
life of the battery, and a battery used frequently will not last as long as one rarely used.
- How do you know when to replace the battery backup?
There are (3) LED lights on each battery backup. If the green light is illuminated, the battery is fully charged
and operational. If the yellow light is illuminated, the BBU is currently charging. If the light is red, the unit has
failed to charge. If the red light remains illuminated for more than 48 hours, the battery needs replaced.
- How many times will the battery backup operate the garage door?
The answer varies depending on factors such as the age of the battery, the weight of the door, and number
of hours since the BBU was last fully charged. With optimum conditions, it is expected that within the first 24
hours of a power outage, the battery could operate the door up to 50 times.
- Will the other garage door opener features work under battery power?
The opener’s light will not function under battery power.
- In the event of a power outage, will the operating speed of the opener change?
Yes, the speed will be reduced to conserve power.
- If someone has more than one door on their garage, do they have to have a BBU on every door?
Yes, a battery backup will be needed for each garage door opener.
- If someone purchased an opener before July 1, 2019, can it be installed after July 1, 2019?
No. After July 1, 2019, CA SB-969 prohibits openers without a BBU from being installed or replaced.
- If my opener was installed before July 1, 2019, and is still under warranty but needs replaced, what
If an opener must be replaced in California, the new one must have a BBU attached. If the opener does not
have a battery backup, the warranty will cover repair but the unit will need upgraded to a BBU capable unit.
Or you can purchase a Genie BBU retrofit kit to bring it into compliance with CA SB-969.
- Can I work on or service an opener with a battery backup still attached?
No. Before working on any opener, it should be disconnected from all sources of power which includes the
battery backup unit.